Thursday, January 24, 2013

One step ahead and two steps back

It's a frigid 13 degrees outside today and I was pretty pysched to go for a run this morning and try out all my cold weather gear. I dropped Santino to daycare, came home, got ready and warmed up. The second I opened my door, I was greeted with a blast of cold air and knew I would have a tough time. I continued nonetheless. I started my running app, warmed up some outside and was on my way.

After a couple minutes, I realized how cold my face was. My body didn't feel nearly as cold as my face. I trudged along and my stomach started cramping. I was so focused on the cold and my stomach that I stopped. I didn't even make a mile.

I walked home discouraged. In fact I'm still disappointed. I should have fought through it. I should have kept going. Why didn't I? Was this what I had become, a quitter after half a mile?

At home, I immediately sunk into my usual negative spiral. Maybe I'm not meant to do this - maybe I'm just not one of those people that can fight through things and overcome. Is running really for me?

This is the answer I came up with and this is what I am going to continue thinking. I had a bad run, but a bad run is better than no run. And yes, I'm a runner because I enjoy running and because it took a lot for me to leave my warm house and even get outside to begin with. Just because today's run wasn't great, doesn't mean that I have to identify myself with it. I can overcome simply by getting back out there and trying again.

I will run again and I will run in the cold again. I will overcome.

Until my next GOOD run,
Renita

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!