Friday, January 25, 2013

Too much?

After my disappointing run yesterday, I was determined to make the most of my Bikram class. I went prepared to fall back, reach back, go way back and push, push, push (some Bikram humor for you non yogis). Anyways, I did really well! The class didn't have too many people in it so that probably helped with the temperature.

On the way out of class, I saw that the studio had a sign up sheet for a 30 day Bikram challenge in February. I have signed up once before, the month before I got pregnant and I ended up going 4 times. Very sad! I couldn't resist and I signed up again. I know I won't be able to go 30 times in 30 days. It's not an excuse so much as it's extremely hard to find the time. The studio is 20 minutes away, each class is 90 minutes, plus 10 minutes to cool down and an extra 20 minutes since I need to get to class early enough to get a good spot! So the time away from home definitely adds up and while I wish I could do it 30 times in 30 days, it is probably not likely. I don't think I'm setting myself up to fail since I honestly believe it's about setting expectations. Signing up for a 30 day challenge will result in me making time to go more. Though I may not make 30, I'll probably get pretty close and that's perfectly fine with me. I'm just excited about the challenge.

I also have signed up for my first 5K in March. So is this doing too much? I honestly don't think so. I'm going to push myself to get up at 5:30 and continue running. Hopefully I can make it to yoga a couple times a week and maybe a class or two on the weekends. It's going to take some planning but I'm sure I can do both.

I read a quote the other day - "A [wo]man who dares waste an hour does not value time" or something to that effect - thank you Charles Dickens. Anyways, the point is really that you have to make time to do the things you love. And if that means getting up before your family does, so be it. Wasting time is not really doing anything for me or my family.

I have to say I wish I knew this earlier. Before I got married and had my son, I wasted A LOT of time. If I could go back in time knowing what I know now (I know we have all said this at least once in our lives), I would have done things differently. I would have used my time more efficiently. But I guess it took having a child to make me realize the value of time.

Though it may appear that I am setting my goals too high, I think I'm capable. The Bikram challenge starts Feb 1. I'm hoping to go 15-20 times. The 5K is in March and I really need to up my distance. So far the farthest I have run is 1.94 miles. I'm hoping to make it 2 next week and then build up from there.

What is too much in your opinion? Do you believe setting your goals too high sets yourself up for failure?

Until my next challenge,
Renita

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!