Sunday, January 27, 2013

These boots are made for running?

This past weekend we didn't have plans and I didn't have to share my hubby with his other love, climbing, so I was pretty excited. We had a relatively low key Saturday and were both ready for some activity Sunday. So yesterday, we drove out to Watchung, about 20 minutes from where we live, to check if there was ice in so we could go ice climbing this morning. To our surprise, ice was in and it was beautiful! Michael ran out and took some pictures and couldn't stop planning our Sunday. We arranged for a babysitter for a couple hours and were out of the house by 8:40 this morning.

Now I'm usually not interested in making plans so early on a Sunday but with ice so close, an extremely short approach and knowing we'd be home early enough to get most of the day with Santino, I gladly agreed. After seeing the pictures Michael took on Saturday, I was even more excited.

We get there and set up and Michael takes two "burns". I'm not really into all the climber lingo so I usually call them runs but I guess burns is the appropriate word considering everything burns when you're done! Anyways, I put on his boots and crampons and attempted to climb. I didn't get anywhere. The boots were way too big for me. I thought they were a size or so big but I think it was more than that. I couldn't even kick the boots into the ice. I stopped and made the most of the day. I belayed Michael a couple times and he did really well so it wasn't a day wasted. But, I was upset at not getting to climb and more upset about losing activity for the day.

On the way to the car, I decided I would go for a run when we got home. My last run was just under 2 miles and I really need to start running 2 miles so I could get up to 3 for my 5K in March. I also didn't want to waste my day! So I came home, layered up for running, or rather delayered from ice climbing and was on my way.

Today's time was 2.08 miles. My farthest yet - Woohoo! Also, I managed to stay within my usual pace of 9:30 min/mile so I am really proud of myself. I guess the fact that Michael's boots didn't fit made me get a run in. So apparently, the boots were made for running. :)

I really feel great now. I feel like I earned a Sunday of playing with my son and watching TV. I look forward to more runs this week and starting my 30 day Bikram challenge on Thursday.

Until my next 2+ mile run,
Renita
Beautiful ice globe I found while waiting for Michael to set up

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!