Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Goal Setting for My First Half Marathon

Since I have officially completed my first goal (my first 5K), I am now ready to set goals to achieve my ultimate goal this year - my first half marathon (Sea Wheeze). I was so happy about completing my first goal that I forgot about my second and as a result, this past week has suffered with regard to picking up training. I did run my farthest yet - 4.06 miles (woohoo!) but I only ran two days last week and that's not really going to cut when it comes to training for a half. So I need to pick up training and add some speed workouts as well as training sessions at the gym.



Coming up with a schedule isn't as easy as it sounds because I have to figure out what Little Beast is going to be doing. He's been so good lately that I honestly think I should change his nickname to Little Angel. Then again, I'm sure his beastiness will come out soon enough and he will be back to Little Beast. I just love my little man. Sorry, Mommy Renita took over, let's go back to Training Renita.

So as I mentioned it's tougher to come up with a schedule because I need to plan around Hubby and Little Beast. This is why I sometimes wish I had discovered my love of running at an earlier age. Had I started running in my 20's, I would have no issues coming up with a training plan and sticking through it. I probably could have run a marathon! Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda but Didn't. Back to Today.

My run days will now be Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. I plan to run 3-4 miles Wednesday and Friday and then have my long run on Sunday (which is currently at 4 miles). As the distance of my long run increases, I may add a mile to my short runs but I am going to plateau at 5 mile short runs. Once the weather gets warmer, I will substitute one of my run days for speed work. The plan will adjust as I build endurance.

I have also decided on getting a trainer. This is partly influenced by Hubby (and the fact that my job pays for half of it!) but I think it will be really good for me. I need to improve my stride and speed and stronger muscles will help me do so. I have to admit the fact that summer is coming and that I would love to wear a bikini also play a role in my decision. I will work with a trainer twice a week for 3 months so look out for posts on how awful my sessions are. I'm a baby when it comes to people pushing me so it will definitely be tough!


If you have any advice on training for a half marathon or training for a race, post a comment and let me know! I would love to hear from seasoned runners on their training plans and focus before a big race.

Until my Wednesday run,
Renita

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!