Friday, March 15, 2013

On the way to my First 5K!

Well what do you know? The title actually rhymes! If you know anything about me, you know I love rhyming. I write poems every chance I get - to my husband in his Valentine's day card, for my best friend's baby shower invitation, etc. Now I'm rhyming with running. Yes I'm a nerd, but I'm a happy rhyming nerd so that makes everything better.

My first 5K is in two days and I have to say I'm a little nervous. I lost a lot of time, basically the entire month of February, because of being sick, so I haven't trained as much as I would have liked. It took me a while to get to the 3 mile mark and after being sick for roughly a month, I found it difficult to get through 2 miles. It's only been about two weeks that I've been back to running and I ran over 2 miles today, 2.34 to be exact. I'm happy with it and while I know Sunday's 3.1 miles will be tough, I know that I will finish the race. I may finish slow but I will finish with a smile on my face.

I googled training for your first 5K and came across this article (can't find it at the moment) that said you should volunteer for a race before you run one so you know what to expect. While I think I would be slightly less nervous had I done that, I'm glad I didn't. The newness of it all is exciting and I wouldn't want to lose my initial excitement because I'm overly concerned about what to expect. I'm also looking at this race as my baseline. I can only get better from here on out. If I get really tired, I can slow down. If something hurts, I can stop. I'm putting absolutely no pressure on myself - except to finish the race. I hope I don't finish walking but I'll be proud of myself regardless.

Until my first 5K!
Renita


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!