Monday, March 11, 2013

Lost Time

February was a very tough month in my house. Little Beast got sick, hubby was sick, then I was sick, and just when I thought I was better, I got Strep throat.



I finally went back to the doctor last week and said something didn't feel right. I'm on my (hopefully) last dose of antibiotics this year. This is the 3rd time I'm on antibiotics in 2 months! Let's hope this sickness is on its way out and I can return to focusing on my goals.

Last Saturday was the first time I went for a run in over 3 weeks. Needless to say, it was really tough for me. I did 2 miles in just under 20 minutes. My pace was off and I was exhausted. I also realized that the running shoes I bought recently were way too big. The salesman said to buy a shoe that's a 1/2 size bigger. Turns out the shoes I got were actually a full size bigger and just felt way too loose. We returned to the store Saturday and I was able to exchange my shoes for an 8 and 1/2 and they are perfect! The color also matches my running attire (yes I'm one of those girls) so it all worked out. 

My husband recently joined the gym again so I went with him on Sunday. I'm planning to join soon as well since I realize the combination of running and strength training is important. To be honest, I am very intimated by weight lifting, I don't know what to do nor how much to do and I always question my form. I'm clumsy, lanky and sit at a desk all day so posture and form have always been a struggle for me. Thankfully, hubby's a trainer (certified and planning on working as one later this year - if you're in Central Jersey and looking for one, let me know. Sorry for the sales pitch). He walked me through some strength training. After that I got on the treadmill for a 3 mile run. I stopped after 2 miles bored to death.  I have no idea how anyone can do half marathons and marathons on the treadmill. I'm serious, people actually do this. It's just so much nicer to be outside enjoying the fresh air. Next time I have no choice but to do a treadmill workout, I'm going to work on speed or intervals instead of just running. I spend my days bored at work so I absolutely refuse to have a boring workout.

In terms of goals, my first 5K is this Sunday. I haven't run as much as I wanted to so I'm sure my time will suffer. Luckily this is still my first 5K so I can use it as a baseline and work on improving my time. We all have to start somewhere. And remember that Bikram challenge I mentioned a while ago? Well...I didn't even go once! Between being sick and going through some personal things this past month, I just couldn't go. Which brings me to my next point. I think it's really important to spend time thinking of realistic goals. I'm a working mother who enjoys spending time with my family, two chubby dogs and alone time with my husband. Running 3 to 4 times a week is manageable. Strength training a couple times a week is also manageable. Attending a yoga class that is 30 minutes away for 90 minutes multiple times a week is not realistic. I could probably make it happen but life is short and I want to suck up as much of my son's air as possible! So I'm keeping the goals realistic from this point forward.

My plan is to run two more times before my 5K and I'm hoping to make 3 miles on my next run. 

Until then,
Renita

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!