Sunday, April 7, 2013

Awkward

The title of this post is a little misleading, well maybe just to me. I'm not writing about the MTV show Awkward. Haven't heard of it? Me neither. I don't record the series on my DVR or anything, I'm not excited that there's a new season out now and it's not second on my list after Teen Mom 2. So what if my television taste is comparative to that of a teenage girl, at least I'm not afraid to admit it. ;)


So yes awkward. Awkward is what I felt at the gym today. In fact, I just joined today. I'm not sure if I have ever mentioned my hatred of gyms. I'm not now a gym rat nor have I ever been one. In fact, I have joined 4-5 gyms in my lifetime and have only managed to go consistency once when I lived in England. For me, gym memberships usually end up being a huge waste of money. The one time I went consistently, I was cardio queen. I was single living in a small town in England and had nothing to do but go to the gym after work. I went 3 times a week for an hour and a half each time. 30 minutes elliptical. 30 minutes stairmaster, 30 minutes treadmill and I was done. Why didn't I mix it up more? That's all I knew how to do in the gym. I didn't lift because I hadn't the slightest idea what to do.

Enter today - 5 years later (eek!) and I still have no idea what to do in the gym. When I enter, I feel lost. I usually go straight to the cardio equipment and avoid weights like the plague. Today I went with a new outlook. I would try everything Hubby told me to do and try not to complain. Having a husband that's a personal trainer when you are extremely conscious of your fitness isn't easy. Hubby must have went with a new mind set as well - to compliment and take it easy. I honestly didn't hate anything we did. We did hip thrusters, squats and box jumps. Okay, I'm not a huge fan of box jumps, but that's only because I can't do them! Ask me to run 3 miles and I have no problem with it. Ask me to keep both feet together and jump on a box and hold it, I can't! So hubby started me on a stepper instead of a bench and that seemed easier to jump on. I eventually got the hang of it and jumped on a smaller bench but the fact that I couldn't do it didn't really surprise me. I lack coordination and need to work on it.

On Tuesday, I have my initial training session with a trainer at the gym. I'm nervous, anxious and somewhat excited. I know weight training is important to do in addition to running. I'm also aware that running alone will not give me the body I want. I want defined muscles. I want arms that don't wave goodbye when I say hello. Sadly they do that now. I've never really had a lean defined body and I want that now. While my goals may seem vain, okay they are definitely vain, I'm ready to put the time in to make them happen. Training to run a half marathon will build my endurance. Lifting will build my strength. Put it all together and I will be one lean strong feminine machine. Yea, that sounds pretty damn good to me.

My husband recently bought me the book - A Woman's Guide to a Better Butt and Body. In his defense, he wasn't trying to tell me something when he gave it to me. He's supportive about fitness and nutrition and works at it himself every day. He supports my running and pushes me, in a good way. So while some people may look at his gift as a "Hey babe you're fat", I choose to look at it as a helpful tool for me to get the body I want. I started reading the book yesterday and it's pretty interesting. If you feel as awkward as I do in the gym and have no idea what to do when it comes to lifting and exercises, this book is definitely for you. It details the exercises and tells you what to do and when. All you need is the discipline to do it.

My training plan will now include running 3 days and cross training 2 days a week. I will also take my measurements soon and post before and after pictures. I am going to prove that a previously unathletic person can have buns of steel.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!