Monday, April 29, 2013

Lemmings

I live in Jersey and work in New York. Every morning I am rushing out the door, dropping my son to daycare and then commuting to the city. Every morning, Hubby and I are in a rush. Every morning, I get mad that my son wants more than 10 minutes of my time because I have to get ready. I'm not happy about it. I live for relaxed mornings with my family. I live for the mornings we bring Little Beast into our bed and cuddle. This past week was extremely stressful work wise and I worked a lot more hours than I usually do. I felt like I didn't get enough time with Hubby and Little Beast and I was really upset about it. That said, I enjoyed every single minute of my weekend and am spending all day with Little Beast on this rainy Monday.

So Lemmings? Where did that come from? For as long as I can remember, I've said I don't want to be a lemming, a follower, one who boards the train in a line during rush hour and stands in line to get off the train and go to work. I'm not one of those people, I'm not a lemming. But the truth is, as much as I hate to admit it, that I am a lemming. I commute to the city at least 4 days a week (because bills need to be paid after all) and I spend most of my commute complaining, to myself or to Hubby. The good part of the commute is that Hubby is there to complain with me. Is that the way to live life? I really hope not. Hubby is going to make a change soon enough and after he gets settled in his new career, I plan on making a change as well. I refuse to be a lemming all my life. I'm not a follower.


I've been having second thoughts with regard to my career and I've realized, last week made it official, that I'm not going to spend the rest of my life being a so-called Lemming. I'm going to do something I'm passionate about. Of course I need to pay my bills and save for Little Beast's college so I'll have to figure out a way to do all of the above.

With working so much last week, I didn't get much time at all to run or go to the gym. I worked on speed yesterday and ended up running my fastest mile to date - 8:30 min/mile! Woohoo! Hubby was my motivation since he is training to run his first 5K with me on May 19 and wants to complete it in under 27 minutes. Since we'll be running it together, I want to improve my time as well, and to be honest, I want to beat him! :) He is a lot faster than me so that's going to be really tough but I'll be happy with anything under 28 minutes. My first 5K last month was 30:44 so anything under that is perfectly okay with me.

In case you're interested, the shirts that Moms RUN This Town designed (as shown in my previous post) raised $28,000 for the victims of the Boston Marathon! I'm extremely proud of this. I'm still working on recruiting members in Edison NJ. Please reach out to me if you're in the area and want to be part of the group!

I have the next appointment with Trainer on Wednesday and then again on Friday morning. Starting next week, I will be meeting with her 3 times a week. In terms of running, I'm going to work on my 5K time for now so I don't envision too many long runs. After my next 5K, I will go return to my much loved long distance runs. Surprisingly, I felt more tired after running 2 miles at 8:30 min/mile than I did after running 6 miles at 10:00 min/mile! 

Until my next non lemming event,
Renita





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!