Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I pulled an Armstrong

No, I'm not on drugs, steroids or performance enhancers of any sort. But I have recently realized my last couple of posts were full of crap. They are all 100% true yet they are full of crap. I'll explain. I signed up for the 30 day Bikram challenge in addition to training for my first 5K next month and my first half marathon in August. It is February 5, the challenge started February 1 and I have yet to go to yoga once! I have no idea how I thought I would be able to train for both races, go to yoga 30 (even 15-20) days in February and be a working mother. I set way too many goals up for myself.

My last post, and this one is the kicker, is where I basically said to run when you're sick. Yes, I actually said that! And to make matters worse, I did it. I went for a run last Thursday. Here I am 5 days later, on antibiotics and way too weak to go to work (today's my first day back), let alone run. What was I thinking?

I understand us runners, newbies and pros, share one thing in common - the post run euphoria. We run because it makes us feel great. We run to meet our goals and train for our races and marathons. We don't like setbacks and we'd much rather push through than sacrifice a training run. I get it. In fact, I would have called myself crazy a year ago. But now, I get it. I didn't want to lose my run on Thursday. I have lost a couple runs since then and didn't want to lose them either. But since Thursday, I've been listening to my body.

I am looking forward to feeling better so I can run. I'm hoping I can pick up where I left off but I'm sure I'll have to work at it. I'm just happy this happened now and not a week before my half marathon!

As for the goals I set for myself, I'll continue to try and go to yoga as much as possible but I am going to focus on running. I am like my mother in more ways than one and while she can't manage to finish a sentence without getting distracted, I guess I can't manage to finish one goal, without adding a couple along the way! Lesson learned - one thing at a time.

Since I have been home sick, I have spent a lot more time with my family and I am proud to say my son took his first steps last Friday! Soon enough, the little man is going to take off running and then we're screwed! :)

I am also extremely proud of my husband for making his blog public! As I've mentioned before, he is Mr. Rock Climber extraordinaire (at least in my eyes) and his blog details his Rock Adventures. Take a look and see for yourself - it combines both rock and ice climbing, exploration, climbing technique, gear review and fun times!

Proud wife and mama,
Renita



Santino's First Steps




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!