Monday, June 3, 2013

The Wind Beneath Your Skirt

Disclaimer - this post is not about farting! Or maybe in some ways it is. We'll get to that later.

Part of Hubby's Christmas gift to me last year was Run Like a Girl: How Strong Women Make Happy Lives, a book about how strong women make healthy lives. I thumbed through it when I received it, said it was interesting but never got into reading it. Yesterday, as I was looking for something to cut my nails on (gross maybe but at least I'm honest!), I found the book. I started reading it and immediately found interest. I told Hubby I am now ready to read it. Sometimes people gives you gifts with the best intentions, maybe they see something in you that you don't see, yet you disregard the gift not realizing that while now may not be the time maybe someday it will interest you. Yesterday was my someday.

I started reading the book last night and love it. There was a saying in the beginning that stuck out - When you meet other woman, do you start by sharing your accomplishments? Probably not. Yet, when men meet other men, it's usually over bragging rights - I caught a bigger fish, or I benched 350 lbs. When we women meet other women, we tend to belittle ourselves. I immediately thought of myself at the gym last Friday. I finished crazy arm workout with Trainer and went to get a strawberry banana oatmeal protein smoothie (yum!). While at the smoothie bar, I overheard a lady talking about threading her eyebrows and how she is allergic to wax. I don't know why but I felt the need to say "Oh threading is the best, I've been doing it for years. You can even thread other areas on your face. I'm Indian and hairy so I know." Yes I seriously said that. Really! Why did I feel the need to call myself hairy so I could join in on the conversation? I have absolutely no idea.

I haven't read too much of the book yet but I do really like what I have read so far. I like the premise of the book - that if you are strong and into sports (regardless of what they are), you are happier. The sense of pride and accomplishment you get after making PRs and meeting goals, gives you the confidence and drive to extend that to other areas of your life.

Another part of the book that really sticks out is this quote "No wonder some women may get obsessed with having it all - it turns out we're equipped to have it all." I love that. As women we are made to multitask. We are wives, mothers, sisters, friends and we give everything to each one of our relationships. We work, we play with our kids, we run, we bike, we swim, and we compete. The more we do, the more we push ourselves to do more. That's pretty damn amazing if you ask me.



Since I've started running, I have discovered so many things about myself. I'm fast, I'm committed, I'm determined, I try my best, I work hard and I love sweating! Once you open yourself up to something you never thought you could do, it really changes your life....style biiitchh!

So stay classy and workout in beast mode. Feel the wind underneath your running skirt! Go out and do something you told yourself you can't. Do it because you're capable and equipped.

Be a beast at whatever sport you do!







2 comments:

  1. Hi again Renita! Came to show some love from your feature on Real Into today. I tried threading my lip once...whew! I will have to try again! The book does sound could. Nice meeting you. Looks like we started blogging around the same time. I'd love to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joi! Nice to connect with you. Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Thanks for posting one!